In the Fiery Furnace
We enjoyed another great story last week as we learned about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego being thrown into a blazing funace for refusing to worship an idol! Once again, as I planned I checked out what ABC Jesus Loves Me had to offer, and found some great ideas in the 4-Year Old Curriculum week 2 lesson plan. Ian has had an affinity for the book of Daniel since shortly after he turned two, and while that mostly focuses on our next story (Daniel in the lion’s den), this story is also a favorite for him. He couldn’t seem to get enough of it this week.
I told the story from Daniel 3 over and over using our flannel board set, as well as reading it several times in The Beginner’s Bible (by Karyn Henley) and once in Classic Bible Stories: A Family Treasury. He also requested it for his bedtime Bible story, which I read in the NIV. (I would prefer to read it in the ESV, but he won’t have his own copy of it until Christmas, so I just use the NIV that we keep in his room.)
For our Bible notebook page, we used a craft from dltk-bible.com. We used the sponge painting option for the fire since Ian had never done that. Also, the craft only had the three men and I wanted to add the fourth, so I printed out both the color characters and a black and white copy to make the “one like a son of the gods”.
The only video we watched to go along with the story was Veggie Tales: Rack, Shack, and Benny (available streaming on Netflix), which was certainly fun, though there were so many elements that were different, I’m not sure how much connection Ian made with the Bible story.
We continued learning Proverbs 3:5-6 as our memory verse for this lesson, so much of our iPod playlist was the same as last week:
- “Trust in the Lord With All Your Heart (Proverbs 3:5-6)” from Scripture Rock (Vol. 1)
- “Trust in the Lord” from Sing the Word from A to Z by the Harrow Family
- “Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego” from Songs from the Beginner’s Bible
- “Daniel 3 Blazing Furnace” from the ESV Audio Drama Children’s Bible from Faith Comes By Hearing (and a song “Daniel’s Rap”)
- “Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego” from The Singing Bible
- Karen & Kids podcast: “Old Testament Stories” (also talks about Daniel in the lion’s den, Noah, and Jonah)
- “Trust and Obey” from 100 Ways to Know God Loves me & 100 Songs to Love Him Back“
- “Trust in the Lord” from Hide ’em in Your Heart Vol. 1 by Steve Green
The new songs, however, were a big hit! From the first day, Ian started singing along with the songs about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and I know this is one story that will stay with him forever.